Cycling Confidence Workshops
Our Cycling Confidence workshops are carefully structured to enable cyclists to understand the challenges professional drivers face and the physical attributes of heavy vehicles.
The workshops are aimed at all cyclists who use the road: commuters, sports and leisure bikers. They are based on a customised and industry-proven curriculum. With a duration of around three hours, the workshops are delivered by qualified facilitators.
Workshops start and finish in an indoor space with toilets and kitchen available, but most of the time is spent outdoors in live traffic environments.
- A classroom discussion, setting the scene on bike safety;
- Demonstration of a heavy vehicle features;
- Exercises to identify the HV blind zones;
- Bike Control: demo and drills in an open space;
- Being Seen: A brief ride on quiet local streets with discussions about safety issues cyclists encounter on the way;
- Choosing Safe Routes: A look at a more complex junction or road feature, with the emphasis on staying safe where HVs are encountered;
- Summary, de-brief and a light lunch back at base;
Workshops usually take 2 1/2 to 3 hours including lunch. The distance biked during workshops varies from 3 to 6 km.
Our key messages for cyclists:
- Keep control of your bike and the situation.
- Ride to be seen and predictable.
- Choose safe routes.